BORGESON DODGE BOX TECH:
STEERING SHAFT CONNECTION:
- Does not connect to stock shaft. Customers may use their stock steering shaft with our 800112 & 800116 Dodge steering boxes however they will be required to grind an orientation flat on the splined adapter of the steering box to match the flat cast in to the OEM steering shaft joint.
NO OR DIMINSHED POWER ASSIST:
- No Power Assist #1. Dodge Trucks with the Turbo Diesel motor have a Hydro Boost brake system that runs off the power steering pump. It is necessary to bleed both the Hydro boost system and the steering system to purge all of the air and establish proper function. To bleed a Hydro Boost application the customer must first cycle the brake pedal to release and rebuild pressure in the brake system then turn the wheel lock to lock to bleed the steering system. Make sure fluid stays full while bleeding.
- No Power Assist #2. Dodge Trucks can be rough on their power steering pumps. Our steering box does place more demand on the P/S pump and if it was on its way out can be the “straw that broke the camel’s back”.
- Hard Steering Increased Effort. If the steering is difficult and requires more effort after installing our box it may be the P/S pump. If a Turbo Diesel truck, ask customer if the steering effort is different foot on vs. foot off the brakes. The Hydro Boost brake system takes priority over the steering and will use any available pressure first. If there is an effort change the pump needs replacing.
PITMAN ARM DOES NOT FIT 800116
- The Borgeson 800116 Power Steering box is not compatible with OEM or aftermarket Dodge pitman arms, this is why we include a replacement with the power steering box.
- If customer has a suspension lift or steering linkage that utilizes a replacement pitman arm our power steering box will not fit their application.
- Customers who have purchased this box already and then discovered this issue can source a 1994-2002 Dodge Truck pitman arm with the drop they need and then file the 4 master splines out of the pitman arm. This modified pitman arm will then fit our power steering box.
DODGE BOX WITH AFTERMARKET BRACES
- A popular modification to the 1994-2008 Dodge trucks is to install a cross frame steering box brace. Some of these will work with our steering box without modification. Other braces will require the mounting holes to be slotted to compensate for the additional spacing of our box of the frame.